Monday, March 6, 2017

Featured Member Interview: Cathy Mitchell


"Fantasy Fruit Tree"
What inspires you to create?
Nostalgia, antiquity, the quaint and whimsical. A significant element of inspiration comes from the children I work with; their innocence, their faith in their own hopes and dreams. And especially the enthusiastic abandon they bring to their art.

When did you decide to pursue art or did art pursue you?

When my children graduated and went out into the world, I had some time to focus on rebuilding my passion for art. As a child I always had art supplies, organic materials, wood, boxes as well as space to work. As I grew older, my parents sort of expected me to spend more time on studies and less on other activities. That was quite a while back, before we began to understand the value of art and overall wellbeing.

 
When did you begin to call yourself an artist?
This Guild has encouraged and inspired me to be brave enough to call myself an artist. I realized that an artist is one who produces art! An artist doesn’t have to be globally recognized. An artist simply enjoys making art.



"My Special Girl"
 

If you weren't an artist, what would you be?
A writer.

What other jobs have you had which have aided you on your artistic path?

Teaching craft classes to children and senior adults.

At the art supply store, which section do you gravitate to first?

Pens, markers, crayons, pastels, anything that makes a mark. And paper!

What new technique or art form would you like to learn? 

Gain more experience and insight into collage.

If you could do anything, and knew you could not fail, what would you choose to do?
Keep my art supplies organized. But I know that would be an Epic Fail. LOL
  

3 comments:

Jeanne Rhea said...

Cathy, I enjoyed reading abut you and your art! So happy you are part of our guild.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jeanne. Being part of our Guild is a very special part of my life.hope to see you soon.

Unknown said...

Very proud of my mom!