Thursday, January 20, 2011

January Member Interview: Penny Arrowood

Penny Arrowood
blog:  Thoughts Askance:  http://pennylarrowood.blogspot.com/

1. What inspires you to create?
hmmm... that's a toughie! It is something that I carry around with me. I cannot imagine NOT creating. I guess it stems from a love of reading and a general love of words -- both their power to move us, and the visual impact that they can have. In a sense that's how my mind works when I am creating -- I can SEE it, and the fun is in the 'getting there'.


2. When did you decide to pursue art or did art pursue you?
Despite never wanting for creative pursuits, I feel more as if I have been pursued, than being the pursuer (?) Although, this could become the whole "chicken or the egg" thing, really... Bottom line: I interact with the world at large much more capably if I have SOME sort of creative outlet. Over the years, that outlet has taken many forms: (needlework, photography, painting, music, simple line drawings, computer aided graphic design, handicrafts, bookbinding *my current love*, jewelry, metal work *another current FAVE*, etc., etc...) As long as the ideas keep coming, I'll keep running along with them.

3. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?
This question is the 'stumbler' for me... Technically, if I weren't what I AM, I would be an Artist! I wear many hats; and, for the most part, love that existence. In many ways, it makes my productive efforts all the more pleasing, because it requires a firm hand in scheduling my time so that I can indulge in creative pursuits.

If I were neither of these things, I have long thought of being an event planner! I love all that goes into the making of a successful event; and have hosted a few of my own... Hey, I'm no Martha Stewart; but I have an eye for the little things that make a gathering more of an occasion!

4. What other jobs have you had which have aided you on your artistic path?
I think that the time I spent selling/designing advertising for a weekly paper in Knoxville, TN *in what seems like another LIFEtime* has been the skill-set that gave me the most creative range, work-wise. That was the beginning of my graphic design training (oh, how I would dearly love to have the waxer that I used to use everyday, now), and those lessons have served me well ever since. In addition to designing printed and online sales/promotional materials for various jobs, I have been able to provide a valuable service to various volunteer associations in the intervening years. It's something that I enjoy, to boot! I have long suspected that this early 'training' has informed my tendency toward somewhat linear work, when it comes to other creative endeavors.

5. At the art supply store, which section do you gravitate to first?
HA! I have a hard time deciding where to go, first! Being a card carrying paper junkie, I have to enjoy a trip through the paper/pad aisle -- just to make sure there isn't anything that I 'need.' I never fail to be mesmerized by the vast assortment of colors and mediums, when I visit with my friends the acrylics! Bargains on canvases of ANY size make me giddy -- although, I am running out of room to store my 'steals.' It all goes back to the beginning, really: creativity is like my shadow! Show me the 'stuff' and I will come up with something to do with it. *speaking of which, why DO I have 6 rolls of plaster cloth?!?*

6. What new technique or art form would you like to learn? Do you have plans to do so?
I have had encaustic painting/collage nibbling at the outer edges of my mind for a few months, now. So far, I have been able to ward off these invading thoughts by employing simple logic (i.e. "you don't really need another new thing, right now," and "you really don't have time to embark on a new venture,"); but I can feel the defenses crumbling! I have been gathering the bits and pieces to have a go at it during my wanderings -- so, sooner than later, my inner child will be dancing in wax!

7. If you could do anything, and knew you could not fail, what would you choose to do?
If I could do ANYthing?!? This question turned my mind into a veritable popcorn popper! There are many things I would love to do under the cloak of 'no failure!' If I could choose only one, though, I think I would embark on a career as a motivational speaker! Just the thought of it makes me happy. I could meet all kinds of interesting people, and travel to various and sundry places -- and just imagine: getting paid to TALK! ...hee, hee -- would you crack up if you saw me on late night TV with my own infomercial? Oh, but it IS fun to dream!

Yes, we'd crack up if we saw you on your own infomercial, but then we'd be rushing to get our wallets, to buy whatever you'd be selling!  Thanks for the interview, Penny...we look forward to seeing what new, creative endeavors this new year will bring to you (maybe something exceedingly cool out of waxed plaster cloth?).

5 comments:

Sharon DiGiulio said...

Excellent! You make me smile and so does this interview. Thanks for being so great at being YOU!

Unknown said...

Penny! What a great interview! Your books are just so gorgeous, and I LOVE all that you have created! You are so creative, and I loved "getting to know you better"

Jean Skipper said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your interview, Penny, and your work is absolutely beautiful!

Penny L Weaver said...

Many thanks, ladies! This was great fun *no IDEA why it took me so long - ha!*... Thanks for taking a moment to read/comment :-)

random notes said...

Great interview with Penny.Such a multi-talented gal!