Members met via Zoom on Thursday, July 8, 2021.
Welcome and Guest Introductions
Linda Poche opened the meeting with a welcome. Linda thanked members for being open to doing a Zoom meeting to avoid inclement weather due to Hurricane Elsa.
Denice Celley led a drawing exercise of overlapping circles that helps with flexibility and movement of the hand.
- Linda Poche toured the new building. In August, CMMAG will meet in the Art Room at Chavis (505 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Raleigh, NC 27601), which is near the lobby and front desk. We are to continue to use the parking lot we had used for the old building. The entrance to the new building winds back, past the carousel.
- After construction of the new building, Chavis has a wishlist of items for the Art Room. CMMAG voted to spend $150 to donate supplies to the Chavis kids art program.
- Zoom Open Studio Playtimes
- Playdates or Open Studio times, which are free to all members, will continue through the summer on the Saturday before the business meetings at 10AM and a Sunday afternoon later in the month. Wednesday sessions were put on hiatus until later in the year. The upcoming dates include the following:
- Saturday, July 10 at 10 am. (This session was pushed back a week to avoid the holiday weekend.)
- Sunday, July 25 at 1PM.
- Duke Gardens Outing
- Marcia Streithorst has planned a trip to Duke Gardens to be inspired to sketch or paint. It is free to enter the gardens, but there is a $2 parking fee. This event was organized for Saturday, October 16 at 1PM.
- NC Museum of Art Sketching Outing
- Katherine Stein is organizing a trip to NCMA on Saturday, September 11, from 10AM to 2PM. If the weather cooperates, the group will focus on the sculpture garden. If it is too hot or raining, the group can visit one of the buildings. Entrance to the museum is free; however, since Covid you must get a ticket online to enter.
- Katherine will have a sign-up sheet at the August meeting so that she can arrange for tickets.
Social Media Update
Marcia Streithorst is the July Spotlight Member on the CMMAG website (blog.)
Amy Roswick demonstrated a few ways to add metallic accents to your mixed media pieces including embossing powder and gilding flakes. Linda Poche showcased how she uses metallic gel pens.