CMMAG members met via Zoom on Thursday, June 10, 2021.
Denice Celley led the drawing exercise where members were asked to draw a grid 4x3. In each of the twelve boxes, she asked everyone to draw an interpretation of the words she listed (dog, snake, boot, etc.) with only 4 seconds to complete each. Hilarity ensued.
Zoom-based Playdates/Open Studio times
Online Zoom Playdates or Open Studio times, which are free to all members, have been scheduled through June 2021. The scheduled days are the Saturday before the business meetings at 10AM and the Wednesday following the business meetings at 6PM. The upcoming dates include the following:
- Wednesday following the business meeting: June 16 at 6PM
- Sunday within the month: June 27 at 1PM
Field Trips/Sketching Events
Marcia Streithorst will organize an event at Duke Gardens to explore areas to paint, sketch or take photos. Details will be provided in the July meeting.
Katherine Stein will organize an event to visit the NC Museum of Art to sketch and possibly do lunch. Details to follow.
July 8th In-Person Meeting Update
Our next meeting will be in-person at Chavis (505 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Raleigh, NC 27601) on July 8th. Details for parking and the meeting room, including a map, will be distributed in early July.
Art Shows (Virtual and In-Person)
CMMAG submitted an application to be selected for a group show in the Sertoma Art Center’s Call for shows in 2022. Selections will be announced later in the year.
Members were reminded of the Wilson Arts Center’s Artist Calls, a juried show in September 2021. Applications are due by July 22, 2021, with a fee of $25 for up to three entries, one photograph for each. If selected, pieces will need to be hand delivered in August for the September show.
Chavis Carousel Angel
CMMAG will purchase and donate 100 tickets for carousel rides at Chavis. These will be available at the front desk for use by anyone in the community who does not have the funds.
Social Media Update
Lisa Yerby is the June CMMAG Spolight Member. Some of her art and information were featured on the blog and shared on social media.
Picked Prompts Challenge
Prompts for the Third Quarter 2021 Picked Prompts Challenge were chosen. The results are to be shared at the September meeting. The prompts are as follows.
Medium: Paint (Acrylic/Oils)
Texture/Mark Making: Solid: wood, metal, glass
Theme: Shapes: Circle, Square, Diamond
Bonus Technique: Continuous Line Drawing
- Idalina Teixeira got a new job.
- Alicia Brinkman sold a couple of her paintings in the 6x6 Daily Painting Exhibition at the The Halle Cultural Arts Center in Apex. The show ends today.
- Marcia Streithorst had a journal juried in a Triangle Book Artists show. Details will be officially announced later.
- Marcia will have a booth at Cary Lazy Days in August.
- Maureen Seltzer recently did a show at an outside festival in Wake Forest. The show went well, and attendance was great.
- Deirdre Abbotts shared the news that her son and his fiance are having a baby, her first grandchild.
- Laurel Rupe reminded members that Art of the Carolinas is having its 20th anniversary this year, when it is held in November.
- Lynda Myers’ sister-in-law in Maine wants to make mixed media journals as she sits with her terminally ill husband in hospice care. She is asking for a piece or two or a found object to share with her. She will make arrangements to get any donations.
Instead of a demo, members shared their Picked Prompt results for 2Q2021. The prompts for these pieces included the following.
Medium: Alcohol Inks Texture/Mark Making: Gesso, molding paste, texture paste
Theme: Miniature Color: Red
Bonus Technique: Use an AOC freebie (e.g., glass bead gel, Marabu crayon, Golden paint sample)